Thursday 31 December 2015

1 week to go.

So 2 weeks after saying I'll post something once a week I finally get down to writing another one. Good job there Jack. But anyway, lets start.

    1 WEEK TO GO!!!! and I'll be driving down with family to the airport ready to jet off to what will be home for 5 months. The town Longyearbyen is where The University Centre in Svalbard is located which is one of 4 main settlements on the island, and the team heading up there will be staying just outside of town in a group of barracks called Nybyen ( pronounced: Nyerbyern ). Unfortunately, as some of you may have heard on the news, there was an avalanche in Longyearbyen recently that took the lives of 2 residents and displaced a lot of peoples homes, ripping off one of the barracks roofs too which means that one of our party will be staying nearby till repairs can be made. We won't lie, it shook a few of us but in all fairness, a place as remote as this and subject to the harsh environment up there, it's no surprise that something like this has happened. Nonetheless we're still incredibly excited to go!
    On a seriously lighter but still solemn note, I leave Aberystwyth in just 2 days (2nd January) to return home to Rugby to get the final things ready for departure. Leaving behind the town that I have spent and enjoyed 4 years in and it's not going to be fun though I'm sure that the excitement of what lies ahead will spur me on regardless but I honestly don't know what I'm going to do without my little, best friend. A lot of my friends will know about Kit and he's been such an incredible addition to my life for the last year and a half, always there when I get in from long days and always manages to make me smile. Yes Kit is a cat, deal with it. For those that don't know Kit, here's a picture of him looking rather dapper and mysterious.


I'm leaving the little guy in the hands of my friend Aled, god only knows what state he'll be in when I get back, Aled will likely have given him a makeover and he'll be dressed in a tutu or something ridiculous like that. BUT before this turns into some kind of blog shrine to Kit I should probably move on...
    When I get home I'll have the lovely job of trying to fit everything into suitcases which would ordinarily be something that I could do here in Aberystwyth but that would require me being organised and to have a set of scales or something but nope. Thank god for grandparents. I really don't know how I'm going to fit everything in, unsurprisingly arctic gear is somewhat bulky. Not to mention I need to fit in a 5 month supply of tea bags... but I finally have everything I need, I think. No doubt I'll get to Svalbard and realise I forgot something. Probably my Laptop charger or something stupid like that, either that or Kit will come bounding out of my suitcase as I subconsciously pack him in too. Ooops.
   
But anyway, I should probably get back to revision and stop procrastinating. Next post I do will hopefully be in the airport before we leave!

Time for a cuppah I think.

No comments:

Post a Comment